Tuesday, January 28, 2014

An old way of life, in a New Modern World

In 5th grade I remember doing a scratchboard of a gibbon, thus making me want to recreate it.  This gibbon is done with charcoal and by using a kneaded eraser, I have achieved different values throughout the piece.
  At a distance, the two drawings look very similar.  However, upon closer inspection, you will see a difference in technique variation and type.  I chose to draw the gibbon with charcoal whereas with the wolf I have used ink and pencil to make stippling and hatching marks thus creating a similar value in terms of shading.

This wolf drawing (above) and fox drawing (below) inspired what will be a series of work featuring animals which the Native Americans saw as being symbolic to their way of life.  The thing is, after I had completed my wolf (and fox below), I was surfing the web and came across some Native American spirit animal websites.  It inspired me to start a line of artwork devoted to the Native American portion of my heritage.  Yes, that's right.  I am in fact part Native American.  I am 1.5625% Chippewa.  My great x4 grandmother was one hundred percent Native American.  These images will be available for purchase later.


No comments:

Post a Comment